Couple getting married

Who to Inform After Changing Your Name in the UK?

Whether you’ve recently been married or you’ve been thinking about changing your name for some time, you’ve finally made the plunge but aren’t sure what happens next or who you need to inform?

In the UK, several institutions need to know about your name change; banks, government agencies (like HMRC), DVLA, employers, and even travel agents.

We’ve done some research to help you figure out which ones are important for you and how to inform them of your new name.


Passport Office

If you’re changing your name on your passport, you might have to get a new one issued in your new name.

You can do this by sending a completed form (available on the website) along with your old passport, two new photos, and the required fee to the address on the form.

Make sure to include a cover letter explaining why you’re changing your name. It usually takes about a few weeks to receive your new passport.


British Passport



The DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency) needs to be informed of any changes to your name or address so that they can update their records. This is important as your driving licence is linked to your name and address.

To inform the DVLA of a change of name, you will need to fill out a ‘change of name or address form’, which can be found on their website. You will also need to send them a copy of your marriage or deed poll certificate.

Doing this will ensure that your driving licence, vehicle registration and log book are all updated with your new name. If you have a driving licence from another country, you might have to exchange it for a British driving licence.


Your Organisation’s HR Department

If you’re employed, you’ll need to tell your employer about your new name so that they can update their records.

This will take care of your payslip, company email address and other internal documents. You might also need to update your employment contract.

Speak to your HR department or line manager in the first instance. They will be able to advise you on the necessary steps to take and what documentation you’ll need to provide.


Your Bank

Banks will usually require some form of identification when you open an account with them. This is to prevent money laundering and fraud.

So, if you’ve changed your name, you’ll need to let your bank know so that they can update their records.

This will ensure that any future correspondence from your bank (like a new debit card or credit card) will be sent to your correct name and address.

You’ll need to visit your local branch and take some form of identification with your new name (like a passport or driving licence). The staff there will be able to advise you on what else you need to do.


Bank cards



If you pay taxes in the UK, you’ll need to inform HMRC of your new name. You can contact them directly or update your name online through your tax account.


Travel Agents

If you have any upcoming travel plans, you’ll need to inform your travel agent about your name change. This is because your tickets will be issued in your new name.

To do this, you can either contact them directly or update your name and contact details on their website.


Aeroplane wing in the sky


Final Word

Several institutions need to be informed of a name change in the UK. We hope the tips and information mentioned above will make it easier for you to change your name and update your records.


Stay updated on our social media channels, @TheLuxeMagazine on Instagram, @LuxeMag on Facebook and @TheLuxeMagazine on Twitter.